Saturday, April 19, 2008

I just don't get it...

OK, I realize that I'm a large dude. I could afford to lose some weight (who couldn't), but on the other hand I don't think that I'm obnoxiously large. I'm no John Goodman, for Christ sake. I'm in fairly decent shape. And, for what it's worth, I've actually lost some weight since I've been here. Whatever.

But why is it so hard for people to find costumes for me? Weeks ago I got an e-mail asking me for my clothes sizes and I gave this woman the appropriate information. So why, when she showed up about an hour ago with costume possibilities, is everything smaller than the sizes I gave her? Did she think I was lying? Telling her that my shirt sleeve length should be a 38 when it's really a 34? What would be the point of lying LARGER than my actual size? It's just so damned frustrating. Especially after this morning's stumble-through, which was pathetically bad. ARGH!!!


(---deep breath, trying to get control of myself---)


OK, well, because I promised, here's some stuff about my character...

My character's name is Robert. He's invited by his old friend to their house for the weekend primarily so that the friend (Bernard) has an alibi while he gets together with his girlfriend while his wife is out of town. But Robert has been having an affair with Bernard's wife, Jacqueline. She decided not to go out of town...and hilarity (we hope) ensues. So Robert starts out trying to be kind of dashing but really he's a nervous guy. And as lies pile upon each other, he gets more and more nervous and fidgety and tongue-tied. He wants to do the right thing, whatever that might end up being, but he's kind of sucked into all the shenanigans by his best friend and, eventually, not wanting to get caught up in the lies that involve him and the people he cares about. It's an interesting thing to try and play. Also, it's remarkably tiring to be that nervous and fidgety for an entire show. I end up getting VERY tired early on with little time to catch my breath...as I think I mentioned here before.

So I think that's about it, I guess. I'm not in a very good mood after this morning's awful rehearsal (people still on book and unsure on entire chunks of the show, timing was off, etc, etc...) and then the costume "fitting" so I'm gonna go and see about trying to solidify some scenes and relax a little before the show tonight.

Don...I hope this was what you were sort of looking for...

No comments: