Saturday, July 12, 2008

Returning to the scene of the crime and going crazy...like a FOX!

I know it’s been a while since I last wrote but I’m having a lot of questions about how to proceed, not just in life but in career and in relationship and…well…everything. And so I guess, because I haven’t figured out too many answers, I’ve been reluctant to post anything. Laziness, embarrassment, general ennui…they are all contributing to my lack of posts. My bad.

But I’m right now on the way back to Chicago from a few well-deserved days back in Battle Creek. Why “well-deserved”, you may ask? I dunno. But I felt they were and so I went, damnit. Who are YOU to judge me? Anyway…after a week in Connecticut with Monkey Boy and the monkey kids and monkey family (that can’t stay like that…I’ll get in trouble), I felt I owed myself a little treat. So, naturally, that means going to the BC and hanging with “Heidi” and “Jonathan” and the other folks I’ve come to know and enjoy from the Turkeyville experience. “Heidi” and I had a planned date…our first…and I wanted to see the show in its full version. And I like those guys. Isn’t that enough?

And, of course, no sooner had I purchased my ticket on Amtrak for early Wednesday morning when the agent calls and has an industrial film audition for me for…ain’t it always the way…Thursday afternoon. It seems that any time I want to ensure a call from my agent all I have to do is make plans to go to Battle Creek. Maybe I should make mid-week plans every week. Hmmm…

So I accepted the audition because I had already turned down two auditions a week from them while I was working there. I figured I would think about it a little and then decide whether or not I wanted to go later. Perfect. Well, “Heidi” couldn’t have been cooler about me potentially not being around for a majority of the day on Thursday while I took off for Chicago and then came right back. She really is pretty great. And when she and “Jonathan” asked me about it in the car when they picked me up at the train station on Wednesday as well as announce that they had an added Thursday night performance, I figured that it was going to have to happen. I rented a car and planned to shotgun the trip…drive there, do the audition, and drive right back. The whole trip should take about 7 hours. So I did it, somewhat reluctantly, and I think (---knocking wood---) that I did alright for myself. It was an Army industrial about sexual assault and how that’s not necessarily something that the United States Army might want to be associated with. And who can argue with that? Well, I was auditioning for the role of “First Sergeant”, who teaches the young whippersnappers about how bad it is to rape and inappropriately touch and so on and then, after a hotel party potential sexual assault is prevented, I swoop back in and tell them how proud I am that they listened to all my wisdom. Good stuff. Anyway, I auditioned with this guy who, bless his heart, couldn’t read very well. So he stumbled over almost every line and made up words and stuff. Meanwhile…I came across (I think) as authoritative but with a softer side and an actor who had somehow managed to memorize his lines. Sweet! So we’ll see what happens with that.

Meanwhile, back in Battle Creek, “Heidi” and I continued our romantic interludes. We talked a lot and got to know one another a lot better. But we also got a lot of partying done with the Delta Housers and the various friends that were going in and out of the house. I’ll tell you what…SP and I lived a VERY quiet existence in that place while we were there. We didn’t have friends come in (I had the Raven’s GC visit but that was when the Mid-Lifers had already shown up) and we certainly didn’t have a rotating bunch of people stopping by. But the Mid-Lifers…man!...”Jonathan” had two friends stay overnight on Wednesday night. “Heidi” and “Jonathan” knew a guy who saw the show on Friday night and stay overnight. “Crystal” had a friend in also Friday night. Not to mention the fact that I was there all three nights. It’s always a full Delta House…which I guess is good for general morale so long as nobody really minds, which nobody seems to. I’m actually pretty jealous that they get to do so much as a group and that each person has a choice between four other folks to do something with. Poor SP and I only had each other.

Not that that was a bad thing, mind you.

Anyway, so I’m headed back to Chicago late Saturday night because the Mid-Lifers are all (get this!) going to Cedar Pointe tomorrow for a day of roller coasters and fried dough and stuff. A family outing! Again, I’m jealous. But I have an audition tomorrow night out at Circle Theatre so maybe it’s good that I won’t be traveling on the same day. I can relax, do some laundry, try and figure out my life a bit, and THEN head out to the audition. You know…the regular Sunday. Meanwhile, SP is in his last week and a half or so of Chicago life. And with that in mind, “Heidi” and “Jonathan” are trying to come out to visit next weekend on their days off. Which, of course, would be awesome. “Heidi”, “Jonathan”, SP, and me back together again to do some drinking and catching up. SP’s wife will be there, naturally, but she’s very cool and a welcome addition to the band we’ve sort of created. I can’t wait. AND, if it means another day or two spent next to the lovely “Heidi”, then I’m all for it. So we’ll see what happens.

And in the land of the theater, I have accepted two small parts in Signal Ensemble’s November/December production of “Six Degrees of Separation”, which is a great show and a company I want to work with. Which is why I’m willing to take a small part this time. THIS TIME! I am also keeping my nose to the grindstone and my eyes peeled for any audition that I might even come close to being right for. Nothing too promising just yet. What a fun life, huh?

OK, well, I’ve somehow managed to kill the second hour of this suddenly loooooong trip. And, just as I was wondering what to do with the third hour and had allowed my thoughts to really turn to what “Heidi” might be up to and how the show went and blah blah blah, I receive a text message from her saying that she loved the card I left for her (I left a card for her saying, essentially, that I thought the world of her) and that she was home safe. I’m telling you…there’s a real connection here and this time I refuse to blow it with petty bullshit like I might have done in the past (I admit nothing). Who would have thought…I’m falling for an actress after I had years ago told myself it was never gonna happen again. I must be crazy.

Crazy guy…signing off for now.

No comments: