Thursday, May 22, 2008

I coulda been a Casual Male...

So for the past several days I've seen this television commercial for a men's clothing store called Casual Male XL. It's your pretty usual, run-of-the-mill kind of advertisement but the only difference here is that I went and auditioned for that commercial. Yup. About two months ago (just before I came out here to lovely Battle Creek) I went into my agent's office and gave a reading for the main guy in the commercial. And I think I did pretty well. But I never heard back so I sort of forgot about it. Now, however, the ad is on TV and I'm seeing something I've auditioned for actually on the air.

Luckily for me (in a weird sort of sense) the guy who got the commercial is much bigger than I am. I fit the mold for the clothing store in terms of height and, truth be told, weight (I'm a big dude)...but I'm just not big enough for the ad. Cool! It's the sort of professional rejection I guess I'll take.

Then the other day I saw another ad for the same store with New England Patriots lineman Matt Light in the role as the "big and tall guy". WHAT?!?! I lost a part to a professional athlete? That ain't so cool. Like Matt Light and his three Super Bowl rings needs to get a tiny big and tall man's store commercial. Maybe I should go out for Patriots mini-camps and see how I do.

Not sure how I feel about it all. It's just that it's sort of a first for me, seeing a commercial I thought I might have actually had locked up.

Damn.

In show-related news, our show this afternoon was cancelled due to (I can only guess) lack of interest. Likewise tomorrow's matinee. So that gave me, between the end of yesterday's matinee and tomorrow night's evening performance, about 50 hours with absolutely nothing to do. It's pretty painful, to tell you the truth. I'm trying to keep myself productive and busy (I'm still looking for auditions and classes and the like) but I'm also doing a LOT of slacking off. Sitting around, watching television, going to see the latest Indiana Jones movie, looking on Facebook for whoever's name I happen to remember. That sort of thing.

It's not very fun. So there's nothing much to report from the BC. Just that I actually can't wait until tomorrow night's show. I know, I know. I'm as surprised as anyone that I just typed that out.

I must be exhausted...

No comments: